Genesis 18:16 And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.
17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
Every devoted believer treasures the thought that one day God will say to him, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21). Abraham was such a man who exhibited faithfulness. In fact, it was God who commended Abraham for his faithful life though living in a very wicked world. The Lord came to visit Abraham in the plains of Mamre while on His way to bring judgment upon Sodom and Gomorrah. As the visit was coming to an end, the Lord remained with Abraham as the two angels journeyed toward Sodom. Interestingly, the Bible reveals the mind of the Lord as He contemplated whether or not to tell Abraham about the judgment coming to Sodom. Why would the Lord consider it necessary to tell Abraham? The Bible provides insight when the Lord said, “I know him.” God told Abraham because Abraham showed himself faithful (Amos 3:7).
· (For children): God sees everything we do and how we act at home, at church and everywhere else. Can He count on you to obey your parents at home? Does He hear you asking for prayer and joining the class while singing in Sunday School? Would He praise you for listening to the Bible story, sharing your toys with others, and keeping your hands to yourself?
· (For everyone): Why do you think the Lord knew He could depend on Abraham to obey Him? Can you think of any reasons why the Lord would think He can count on you?
· God said He knew Abraham, and He knows you too! What does God know about you? Can He count on you to do the right things? Can your family depend upon you?
· Ask the Lord to reveal the true level of your dependability.
· Ask the Lord to help you to become more dependable today and in the future. Ask God for the right opportunities to be faithful.