Acts 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,Introductory Thoughts
The gospel witness involves a message that is narrow in scope, but it can be distributed using a variety of methods. The apostle Paul provided three means by which he ministered the word: he shewed them, he taught them publickly, and he ministered the word from house to house. These same three categories exist even today. Believers can preach the gospel in church services, in publick settings, and from house to house. Even within these areas, the gospel can be spread audibly or by using a printed medium. Every believer should take part in at least some form of witnessing. One very effective means involves the distribution of gospel tracts. Truly, there exists no adequate excuse for a believer not to give the gospel to others.
• (For children): When Andrew met the Lord, he went and told his brother Simon (John 1:40-42). Philip told his friend Nathanael (John 1:45-46). We need to tell our family and friends about the Lord. Could you invite others to church so they too can hear the word of God?
• (For everyone): What purpose does each category serve that Paul implemented into his ministry? Why is it important that believers take part in ministering to others publickly as well as from house to house?
• How many lost people would you estimate visit your services at church on a weekly basis? How many lost people do not even consider attending church services? How can you reach those people with the gospel?
• Ask the Lord to help you witness in each way.
• Ask God to give you boldness to invite lost people to church.