Psalm 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
Most people view sin as a private or earthy matter. Yet, every sin that a man commits is a sin against the Lord. According to scripture, men can sin against God the Father (Genesis 20:6), God the Son (1 Corinthians 8:12), and God the Spirit (Matthew 12:31). These sins include such things as adultery (Genesis 39:9), idolatry (Exodus 23:33; Deuteronomy 9:16; Deuteronomy 20:18), lying to a neighbour (Leviticus 6:2), and disobeying the commandments of God (Nehemiah 9:29; Jeremiah 40:3). A man who chooses to sin against the Lord chooses for himself shame (Jeremiah 3:25; Hosea 4:7), confusion (Daniel 9:8), and distress (Zephaniah 1:17). None of these outcomes are the will of God for men.
• (For children): When Ananias and Sapphira lied to the apostles, they were actually lying to God (Acts 5:1-11; Zechariah 8:16). God sent Abigail to prevent David from doing something he would regret later—seeking revenge (1 Samuel 25:27-33, 39; Romans 12:19). Ask God to keep you from disobeying His commandments.
• (For everyone): Read Genesis 20:3-6. Why did God withhold Abimelech from sinning against God? How could this principle also suggest that God might, at times, withhold you from sinning against Him?
• Read Psalm 119:11. How can God’s word keep you from sinning? What does the verse suggest that we should do with God’s word?
• Ask the Lord to work in your heart to withhold you from sinning.
• Ask God to help you hide His word in your heart.
SONG: MY SOUL FORGETS