Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
What does it mean to give financially to the Lord’s work? Does it mean that we give to the Lord only to try and manipulate the spending of every dime? Does it mean that we give without concern whatsoever on how the money will be spent? In our passage, we find that believers should give with simplicity. Before we give, we should pray and insure that our giving is acceptable to the Lord. Is the church receiving the gift doing the Lord’s work? Is the money being used to reach the lost and edify the saints? Once certain that the Lord approves of our giving, we should strive to always give with simplicity. The money is the Lord’s and we must insure before giving that we are parting with control. To do otherwise means that we are not giving with simplicity.
- (For children): Jesus foretold of His death, burial, and resurrection several times. Mary seemed to be the only individual who understood and graciously gave Jesus a costly present. Her gift displayed her grateful spirit looking forward to the sacrifice He was going to do. The disciples said the gift should have been sold with the funds used to help the poor. Yet, they failed to realize that Jesus is God and it is always right to put Him first.
- (For everyone): When you give to the Lord’s work, do you mentally hold onto the purse strings as though you never really released control of how the funds are spent? Release control if the money is being spent to please the Lord and further His work.
- To whom does your money really belong? When we give to the Lord, we are really returning money to Him that already belongs to Him. If this is true, can you trust the Lord with your gifts?
- Ask the Lord to confirm to you if you are giving in an acceptable fashion.
- Ask God to help you give with simplicity.