Matthew 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Why did men marvel when they heard the Lord Jesus speak? The reason is quite simple. The Lord spoke not as the other religious leaders spoke, but with authority! No scribe or man could have any greater authority to speak on the behalf of God than He who was God come to earth in flesh. Everything the Lord did during His earthly ministry testified of His absolute authority. At one point, the Bible says that all people were amazed when they saw the Lord command unclean spirits with authority and those spirits obeyed Him. In addition to this, the Bible declares that God the Father gave authority to the Son to execute judgment (John 5:27). Ultimately, any authority possessed by the people of God stems from the authority of God’s Son.
- (For children): Read Acts 4:5-14. The religious rulers asked Peter and John who gave them the power and authority to heal the lame man (Acts 4:7). Peter’s answer and the leaders’ response to his answer proved Peter had no doubt that the Lord has authority.
- (For everyone): Why should it concern you whether or not the Saviour had authority? What would it say of Him if He did not possess this authority? How would that change your ability to speak or work with authority?
- How or why was the Saviour able to speak with authority when the scribes could not? Why is it that some believers today are unable to speak with authority while others boldly do so?
- Thank the Lord that your Saviour both had and continues to have authority.
- Ask God to remind you that your authority depends upon His authority.
SONG: O HOW I LOVE JESUS