Joshua 9:14 And the men took of their victuals, and asked not counsel at the mouth of the LORD.
The devotions on the subject of counsel have thus far dealt specifically with counsel received from another person. Yet counsel received from the Lord is the greatest counsel. In Joshua 9:14, the people refused to seek counsel from the Lord and made decisions that caused them trouble for many years. Though God does not speak to us audibly, we are not left to our own devices. We find a more sure word of consultation through His written word. This is why each decision should be carefully checked against the word of God. The Bible is able to discern our thoughts and intentions (Hebrews 4:12) and can determine if we are making the right choices. No better counsel can be received than that which you will find in God’s word.
- (For children): If you have a question, the Bible is the best place to get good advice (Psalm 119:24). God speaks to us through His word which has just the right properties. Psalm 19:7-8 says that His word is perfect, sure (you can trust it), right, and pure. Once you get that advice, you need to follow through on it.
- (For everyone): Do you seek counsel from the Bible before making decisions? What are some important decisions that you need to make right now? What does the Bible have to say about those issues?
- Even the best of people can offer faulty counsel. Is the same thing true of the word of God? How trustworthy is the counsel you receive from God’s word?
- Ask God to show you verses pertaining to your current needs.
- Ask the Lord to help you seek Him over the words of men.