1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
There has never been, nor ever will be, a book like the Bible. Unfortunately, some people who desire to learn its contents simply take the wrong approach. It cannot be studied like a textbook or read like a magazine or novel. It must be approached prayerfully with the help of God’s Spirit with total dependence upon Him for illumination. According to today’s passage, an unsaved man cannot fully understand the word of God because he lacks the spiritual discernment necessary to grasp its full truths. No one can approach the Bible with a fleshly mindset; it must always be approached with faith, believing that it is truly God’s word. Only then can the student with the Spirit’s help rightly discern the things intended to be understood. An improper approach has led many people to believe the Bible, like all other books, contains contradictions and errors. God graciously affords man the necessary spiritual discernment increasing a man’s faith leading him to take God at His word. When man rejects discernment, he increases his darkness.
· (For children): Learn this poem: “When I have a question, Here’s what I’ll do, I’ll open my Bible for Thy word is true.” Now read Psalm 119:160, “Thy word is true from the beginning.”
· (For everyone): Do you have trouble making sense of the word of God? Write down some of your thoughts about the Bible including why you struggle with understanding it. Do you truly believe the Bible to be the perfect words of Almighty God? Do you approach the Bible with a spiritual or fleshly mindset?
· Since the Bible is the foundation for discernment, how important is your faith when approaching it? Do you think it is possible to receive the knowledge and understanding you desire from something you do not fully trust?
· Ask God to give you a believing heart when you study His word.
· Ask God to allow His word to work in your heart so that you can fully receive what He has just for you (and your family).
SONG: ‘Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus