Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
There are very few matters in this life for which we ought to earnestly contend. Yet “the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” stands as one of those things. “The faith” in this context refers specifically to the body of doctrine delivered to us. As believers, we should always be ready and willing to take a stand for the truths of God’s holy word. This contending does not suggest becoming violent toward those who oppose truth. However, it does mean that we should unwaveringly stand forth proclaiming the truth of God’s word despite man’s disapproval. The Lord delivered these truths to us and for us and we should not allow the world to attack them unopposed. We must determine to take a bold stand! We must contend! No matter the repercussions, our allegiance to the One who graciously delivered such truths should shine forth as a light in a dark world.
- (For children): Peter and John were threatened to cease preaching about Jesus. Yet, they stood brave and told the rulers they had to speak the truth (Acts 4:18-20). Instead of wavering, they prayed for God to give them more courage to speak His word and God answered their prayer (Acts 4:29, 31).
- (For everyone): When was the last time you boldly took a stand for the Lord and His words? Did you insure that your stand would bring glory solely to the Lord?
- Do people around you degrade the words of God? What do you do when this happens? Do you sit quietly while the One who gave Himself for you is mocked?
- Ask the Lord to give you boldness to stand for Him no matter the obstacles.
- Ask God to give you wisdom to glorify Him in your stand.