1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
A man’s thoughts serve as the foundation for his actions. If a man fails to be sober minded, he will likely fail to behave soberly. The Bible likens a sober mind to one that has girded loins. When a man would gird his loins, he would tie off his garments in such a way to assist him during work or when he was running. A man’s mind is best prepared to work properly when it is girded up with sobriety. This sobriety keeps a man humble by keeping him from thinking “of himself more highly than he ought to think” (Romans 12:3). Pride hinders a man’s ability to work for the Lord, but sobriety girds up the mind with humility. It is very important for this sobriety to begin taking root in one’s youth (Titus 2:6).
- (For children): When David faced the giant, he had already girded up the loins of his mind. He thought seriously about what he was going to do by reflecting upon what he had done in the past. Equally important or more important was his giving to God all the credit and glory (1 Samuel 17:32-37, 45-47). We, too, must realize that we need God to fight and win our battles (James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:6).
- (For everyone): What kind of attacks does the Devil launch against your mind? How could these attacks be overcome if your mind were girded up with sobriety?
- What are some ways in which sobriety helps your mind to function better for the glory of God? What pitfalls does sobriety help you avoid?
- Ask the Lord to teach you how to gird up your mind.
- Ask the Lord to keep you from the snares of Satan.
SONG: FOLLOW ON