Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Today’s passage provides a list of things that God expressly hates. That list includes those who murder the innocent when it refers to “hands that shed innocent blood” (Proverbs 6:17). It also mentions those whose hearts devise “wicked imaginations” (Proverbs 6:18). In the midst of this list, the Lord twice references lying as it refers to “a lying tongue” (Proverbs 6:17) and “a false witness that speaketh lies” (Proverbs 6:19). This should really concern those prone to lying with seeming impunity. God hates lying so much that He is going to judge those who do it. The scripture says, “he that speaketh lies shall not escape” (Proverbs 19:5), but will “perish” (Proverbs 19:9). In fact, liars are listed among the wicked groups that will “have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone” (Revelation 21:8).
· (For children): When something is hated, it is extremely disliked. Name some things that you hate. God hates lying no matter who does it and no matter what excuse you might give. Ask Him to help you to please Him by always telling the truth.
· (For everyone): Are you prone to lying? How does it make you feel knowing that God hates something that you regularly do? Are you going to continue to lie even though you know that it displeases the Lord?
· Our study shows that lying is included with some of the vilest sins committed. Have you considered that your lies are disgusting in the sight of God and will one day be judged by Him?
· Ask God to remind you of how He feels about the telling of lies.
· Ask God to give you a sincere desire to be truthful and honest.
Song: I Am Resolved