Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
God hates! For those enamored by the teachers who strictly emphasize the love of God, this fact may be difficult to appreciate. Yet, it is both true and scriptural. In fact, the truth becomes even more peculiar when considering that God’s hatred is founded within His love. According to 1 John 4:8, “God is love.” He never ceases to be love, and if He did, He would cease to be God. Yet, the Bible specifically points out that God also hates! Let the Bible speak for itself and it will clear up any preconceived ideas. God hates because He loves. God loves the righteous; therefore, He hates “all workers of iniquity” (Psalm 5:5). The Bible also points out that He hates the wicked and those who love violence (Psalm 11:5). These truths are frequently contrary to the common teaching by men who fail to consider the whole of scripture and the depth of God. The old saying, “God hates the sin, but loves the sinner” apparently fails when considering the whole matter. God does, in fact, hate the wicked! Additionally, God hates wicked deeds and wicked doctrines (Revelation 2:6, 15). Each of us must insure that we declare all the counsel of God and not conveniently limit our understanding to only the most positive aspects (Acts 20:27).
- (For children): To hate something is to have an extreme dislike for it. The Bible points to some specific things that God hates in Proverbs 6:16-19 and Zechariah 8:17.
- (For everyone): Why does God hate the wicked? Why does He hate false doctrine and wicked deeds? Is it possible that this hatred is founded within His love? Can you explain how God hating wickedness helps to display His all-consuming love?
- How should the knowledge of God’s hatred change the life of a believer? Should believers hate anything? Where should the believer learn what to love and what to hate?
- Ask the Lord to help you grasp the truth that He hates.
- Ask the Lord to help you hate what He hates.