Proverbs 11:22 As a jewel of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.
Most women who receive gold and jewelry consider them treasured gifts. In fact, gold and some jewels increase in value with some being of inestimable value. These treasures have many uses whereby their owners can benefit. Yet, imagine the reaction when a jewel of gold is mounted in a swine’s snout rather than in an appropriate decorative setting. No matter the perceived value of the item, its appeal significantly decreases. The Bible likens this scenario to a fair (beautiful) woman who is void of discretion. The world values outward beauty more than inward beauty though the Bible cautions against this. Today’s passage equates a beautiful woman without discretion to a jewel of gold in a pig’s snout. Discretion is of such importance that God instructed the aged women to teach the younger women to be discreet in Titus 2:5. The problem began where the Bible began – with a story about a woman in the garden in Eden who partook of the fruit based on what she saw and felt. All of God’s people, including ladies, should make their decisions with discretion.
• (For children): What if mom never felt like washing clothes, and dad never felt like going to work? What if you never felt like cleaning your room? God wants us to do what is right, not just what we feel like doing.
• (For everyone): What are the most important things in life? Would you agree that the style of your clothing is much less important than gaining wisdom? Is the amount of money you have more important than the right relationship with God? Are your looks more important to you than cultivating discretion?
• Why is it important for ladies to use discretion? If a lady is a wife and mother, her decisions affect more than just herself. Who else do they affect? Do these same truths apply for men? What should both men and women do to ensure that they are leading others in the right direction?
• Ask God to show you how to order your priorities in a God-pleasing fashion. Ask Him for the grace to change what needs to be changed and accept the things that cannot be changed.
• Pray that the Lord will help you make decisions based upon truth rather than feelings and emotions.
SONG: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus