Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.Introductory Thoughts
The Devil despises any praise offered toward God. Men who sacrifice to God demonstrate their valuation of Him. For this reason, the Devil longs to eliminate godly sacrifices. Daniel 9:27 references a future time known as Daniel’s seventieth week when the Devil will cause the reinstituted Jewish animal sacrifices to cease. In the present age, God has clearly shown that He has no desire for man to sacrifice animals. Instead, believers offer spiritual sacrifices to God thus demonstrating their praise and declaring their love for God. Just as the Devil will one day seek to end the physical sacrifices given to the Lord by the Jewish people, he presently works hard to keep New Testament believers from offering the spiritual sacrifices of praise to God.
• (For children): The Devil has always wanted to be God (Isaiah 14:12-14). While Jesus was on earth, the Devil tried to get Jesus to worship him in place of God. Jesus refused and answered the Devil with a Bible verse (Matthew 4:8-10).
• (For everyone): Why does the Devil hate for God to receive praise? What efforts does he put forth in your life to keep you from praising God through spiritual sacrifices?
• Do you love God? What do you do in order to demonstrate your love for Him? What kind of a battle do you face when you seek to offer spiritual sacrifices unto the Lord?
• Ask God to help you thwart the efforts to stop your sacrifices.
• Thank God for giving you reasons to offer spiritual sacrifices.
SONG: AM I A SOLDIER OF THE CROSS?