Exodus 36:5 And they spake unto Moses, saying, The people bring much more than enough for the service of the work, which the LORD commanded to make.
In Moses’ day, when the people of God were called upon to give to the work of God, they gave abundantly. Ultimately, the men doing God’s work came to Moses suggesting that the people refrain from giving anything more. Any person with the right heart who believes in the work of God will not have to be begged to give. He will give liberally. This type of liberality manifested itself again in the early church. The Bible describes the people of God at that time as being “of one heart and of one soul” (Acts 4:32). Amazingly, many of them sold their houses and lands and brought the money to the apostles (Acts 4:34). This liberality greatly assisted the work of God and helped the people of God.
- (For children): The Bible gives examples of those who loved God so much that they gave even when it might have been difficult to give more. Some examples would be the Macedonians (2 Corinthians 8:1-4) and the widow woman (Mark 12:41-44).
- (For everyone): Would your giving be classified as liberal? Are you more concerned about possessing the things of this world or contributing to the work of God?
- What would you be willing to sacrifice in order to help other believers? What would you give up in order to help missionaries fulfill their calling?
- Ask the Lord to teach you how to give sacrificially.
- Ask God to give you joy in giving.
SONG: TAKE MY LIFE, AND LET IT BE