Isaiah 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
6 For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
7 The instruments also of the churl are evil: he deviseth wicked devices to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaketh right.
8 But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.
The first part of Isaiah chapter 32 speaks of a future time when the Lord will right wrongs that exist in societies. Isaiah points out that the Lord will reign in righteousness (Isaiah 32:1) and mankind will no longer be blinded by sin (Isaiah 32:3-4). Though many wrongs will be made right, the Lord specifically mentions that the vile will no longer be called liberal (Isaiah 32:5). How did the Lord know in Isaiah’s day that the label liberal would be inappropriately used to address the vile? Perhaps this was already taking place or the Lord was merely demonstrating His infinite knowledge and prophetic aptitude. Liberals are not Bible corrupters, nor are they politicians holding nonconservative points of view. Quite simply, a liberal is a person who gives generously.
- (For children): Read what the Lord Jesus said about giving (Acts 20:35). In Romans, Paul was taking a contribution for needy saints at Jerusalem (Romans 15:25-26). Giving freely is called liberality (1 Corinthians 16:1-4).
- (For everyone): Would you want to be labeled as liberal? How has the misuse of the word affected you by infecting your thinking? With the Bible definition, do you see the label liberal as one meant for praise or meant for reproach?
- Would you be considered a liberal in the scriptural sense? Why should God’s people be the most liberal people in the world? In what ways should we be liberal?
- Ask the Lord to help you learn to be liberal.
- Thank God for the promise of righting the wrongs of this world.