1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.Introductory Thoughts
God no longer expects His people to bring animal sacrifices to a temple made with hands. The Lord Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself for man, and in doing so, became the ultimate sacrifice, once and for all. To bring an animal to any religious facility in the present age would be directly disobedient to the clear teachings of the New Testament. Yet, the Lord still desires to receive sacrifices from men. The sacrifices today consist of believers presenting their bodies to the Lord (Romans 12:1) and giving thanks to Him with their lips (Hebrews 13:15). In Hebrews 13:16 the Bible also says “to do good and to communicate . . . for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”
• (For children): Offering thanksgiving to God is called a sacrifice (Psalm 116:17). We have many things for which to thank Him (Psalm 68:19). Many forget to thank Him (Luke 17:12-18). We can always praise Him for giving us His word (Psalm 56:10).
• (For everyone): What is to be the nature of sacrifices given by New Testament believers (1 Peter 2:5)? What are some sacrifices that would qualify (Hebrews 13:15; Jeremiah 33:11; Psalm 51:17)?
• Do you offer spiritual sacrifices unto the Lord? Do you give Him your heart, your body, your life, your praise, and your thanks? What do such sacrifices suggest to the Lord?
• Thank the Lord for the opportunity to give something to Him.
• Ask God to help you give Him proper sacrifices.
SONG: WE GATHER TOGETHER