Proverbs 16:1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.
Like other callings upon a person’s life, God prepares men and women for marriage. Obviously, God prepares the heart, but He also prepares other areas in order to provide for a strong home. When God created Adam, He could have immediately created Eve, but He chose to allow Adam to experience the sense of being alone. Perhaps there are other reasons, but God may have thought it wise to prepare Adam for marriage. He needed to experience life without Eve. Adam needed to come to the place where he desired companionship. He needed to be alone before he could truly appreciate a wife. In addition to the preparation of Adam’s heart, the Lord gave him a job, a means by which he could provide for Eve (Genesis 2:8-9, 15). All of these preparations were necessary for a strong marriage relationship.
- (For children): Children who are lazy and do not consider the hard work done daily by their parents are often overwhelmed when they have a home and children of their own. Develop good work habits without complaining (Proverbs 6:6-11; Proverbs 31:27b; Ecclesiastes 9:10a; Hebrews 6:12a; Philippians 2:14).
- (For everyone): Read Titus 2:3-5. What are some areas in which a young lady should be prepared prior to marriage? How can she learn the things she needs to learn in order to be prepared for becoming a spouse?
- Read Titus 2:6-8 and 1 Timothy 5:8. What are some areas in which a young man needs preparation before he is ready to be responsible for a wife and children?
- Ask the Lord to give wisdom to those considering marriage.
- Ask God to prepare your children for a strong godly marriage.