Genesis 33:14 Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.
Godly leadership shows itself as fair, flexible, and just. Many different things are taken into consideration before directing those under authority. Does the individual’s personality demand a strong hand of leadership or patience and gentleness? Although leadership presents varying challenges, the astute leader considers these challenges as opportunities for excellence. In turn, the effective leader always develops within himself the ability to discern how to lead and motivate the different people types. For instance, today’s passage shows Jacob explaining to Esau the need to lead on softly because the children could not endure a demanding journey. The same leadership methods simply will not work for every individual. A godly leader seeks out the Lord for help in determining what will best accomplish the will of God by strengthening his followers.
- (For children):In Sunday School class, when some children are nicely asked to stop talking or to sit down, they do so immediately. Others have to be told more than once. The teacher may speak more firmly to them and set them in their chairs because the teacher loves them and wants them to learn to do right.
- (For everyone):Do you have children or people that you lead? Does each one require the same method of leadership, or do you have to implement different styles of leadership?
- Why is it important that we lead in a way that our followers can endure? How can we know the right way to lead each person for whom we are responsible?
- Ask God for wisdom as you lead.
- Ask the Lord to show you how to lead each person.
Quotes from the next volume
(VOLUME 3, WEEK 25)
Subject: The Home (con’t)
A good wife and mother exemplifies selflessness like no one else on earth.
God made the heart of the woman tender, but this tender heart can be unfortunately hardened by sin.
With all the difficult challenges that a woman faces within the home, it should not be surprising that the Lord repeatedly gave warnings against a woman with a contentious spirit.