Psalm 22:3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
Praise is the natural overflowing of affection that occurs when one individual views some positive quality in another. Men praise God because they find His attributes and actions worthy of worship. They may praise Him for His overall greatness (1 Chronicles 16:25) or for His mercy (2 Chronicles 5:13). They may praise Him because of His great name (Psalm 7:17) or because of His power (Psalm 21:13). They may praise Him because of something He has done for them personally (Psalm 28:7). The foundation may vary, but men praise the Lord because they have reason to do so. In other words, the Lord has given His people ample reason to speak of His worth.
- (For children): Children should praise God (Psalm 148:12-13). He made you so wonderful and you can enjoy many things (Psalm 139:14). What can you do with your eyes, ears, hands, feet, mouth? Thank God that He created you and everything in this world.
- (For everyone): For which of God’s attributesdo you generally praise Him? What attributes of the Lord specifically speak to your heart at this point in your life? Have you praised God for those things?
- Has the Lord recently done something special in your life? Did His favour move you to praise Him? If not, why? What does this suggest about the condition of your heart?
- Take time to praise the Lord for who He is and what He does.
- Ask God to give you a heart overflowing with praise for Him.