1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
As time winds down, the need for sobriety increases. Temptations are seemingly escalating from every angle and source. Even if sin did not have the ability to lure away a believer, busyness and hobbies tug at his heart to steal away one’s time and strength. The Devil labours to keep the believer from working while it is day (John 9:4) knowing that a sober believer gets much more accomplished for the Lord. While men are spiritually asleep (Matthew 13:25), the enemy has free reign to disrupt and destroy the lives of others. The apostle Paul saw this dilemma and warned “that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed” (Romans 13:11).
- (For children): The last days are wicked and dangerous (2 Timothy 3:1). What does God want us to do? Realize time is short (1 Corinthians 7:29a) and continue working for Him (2 Timothy 3:13-14a; Ephesians 5:15-16).
- (For everyone): What are some things the Devil has done in the last days to keep men asleep or preoccupied? How many of these things would be considered vain or empty?
- What is the focus of your home? Does this focus confirm or deny the presence of sobriety? What is the focus of your church? Does this focus suggest a people who know that time is short?
- Ask the Lord to remind you that time is short.
- Ask God to help you refuse to sleep or be sidetracked.
SONG: BACK TO BETHEL