John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
The context of our passage shows the disciples gathering some food while the Lord dealt with a Samaritan woman alone. When the disciples returned, the woman left to tell others she had found the Christ. The disciples were confused when they saw the Lord talking with a Samaritan woman. They immediately seemed to focus on His physical needs and begged Him to eat. To their shock, the Lord suggested that He had meat to eat that they knew not of. What was this meat to which He referred? His meat was to do the will of His Father (i.e., mend broken lives). The Lord instantly turned the disciples’ attention toward the harvest, only the harvest involved the souls of men rather than earthly sustenance. Christ pointed out that the time to labour was not some future date, but here and now. The fields were already white to harvest. There was no time for excuse or delay. Now was the time for diligence!
· (For children): Do you put off learning your Bible memorization until the day before you are supposed to say it? What usually happens when you do this? Wouldn’t it be better to practice a little every day and be diligent in your efforts?
· (For everyone): Do you constantly find yourself making excuses for why something cannot be done today? Do you find that you put things off so long that things pile up and you run out of time? The Lord is calling you to diligence!
· Like a wheat or corn harvest, the work of God has a time and a season associated with it. We only have so much time on this earth before our time is finished. What are you doing to serve the Lord today?
· Ask God to help you appropriately prioritize the things in your life.
· Ask God to give you a sense of urgency concerning your service to Him.
SONG: Little Is Much When God Is in It