Psalm 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
It may appear at times as though the wicked have all the advantage over the righteous, but it is important to note that the LORD has never lost His control of this world. The Bible says of God that His soul hateth “him that loveth violence.” Yet, “The LORD trieth the righteous” and often accomplishes this through the wickedness of the wicked. According to the psalms, the wicked “bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart” (Psalm 11:2), and the Lord allows this to happen. Why? Because He wants to reveal the hearts of those who claim to fear Him. In the end, the Lord will take care of His own but will “rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest” upon the wicked (Psalm 11:6).
- (For children): Psalm 37:1 tells us not to fret or worry because of those who do evil. They will not have a happy ending (Psalm 9:17a; Psalm 37:10, 12, 14-15; Proverbs 24:19-20). God wants them to repent (2 Peter 3:9). We should want them to be saved also.
- (For everyone): Saved people ought to be a peaceable people. Have you trusted Christ as your Saviour? If so, are you enjoying the fruit of the Spirit which includes “peace” (Galatians 5:22)?
- Would you rather face temporary trials or eternal wrath? If you are saved, you will have times of difficulty but will be rewarded in the end. How should this truth help you fight on for the Lord?
- Thank God for the future you have in His Son.
- Ask the Lord to give you a heart for those who love violence.
SONG: GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU