1 Chronicles 28:1 And David assembled all the princes of Israel, the princes of the tribes, and the captains of the companies that ministered to the king by course, and the captains over the thousands, and captains over the hundreds, and the stewards over all the substance and possession of the king, and of his sons, with the officers, and with the mighty men, and with all the valiant men, unto Jerusalem.
The steward is not distinguished for his own possessions but, rather, for the care of another’s possessions. This is true of the life and ministry of every believer. He has been purchased by the blood of Christ and claims nothing as his own. If he has a family, his family is a blessing from God still belonging to God. If he has any ministries, they too belong to God. Even his own spirit, soul, and body belong to the Lord and not to himself (1 Corinthians 6:20). Understanding these truths makes a steward prosper in his walk with the Lord and in his service to the Lord. He recognizes and accepts that life is not all about him. He knows that every aspect of life should revolve around caring for each of the possessions of his heavenly Master.
- (For children): John 1:3 tells us God made everything. It all belongs to Him. This includes the world and the people (Psalm 24:1), all animals and birds (Psalm 50:10-11), all money (Haggai 2:8), and even you (Ezekiel 18:4; Romans 14:8). Take care of those things He has put in your possession or under your control.
- (For everyone): Do you have a family? Do you have children? To whom did they belong before they were yours? Whose will they be long after this world ceases to exist? Whose are they now? How should this change your dealings with them?
- What do you have that does not belong to God? How should that change the way you use the things placed under your care?
- Ask the Lord to remind you that everything belongs to Him.
- Thank God for trusting you to care for His possessions.
SONG: SINCE YE ARE NOT YOUR OWN