Psalm 94:1 O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself.
Sometimes the most difficult and significant tasks involve the simplest truths. For instance, every Christian should quickly learn that vengeance belongs unto the Lord. God confirms as much throughout scripture (Deuteronomy 32:35; Psalm 94:1; Romans 12:19; Hebrews 10:30). This should be understandable as only the Lord has all the necessary information to execute just vengeance 100 percent of the time. When man attempts to execute vengeance, he often does so out of an improper motive or without key information of the evil that appears to have been done. Furthermore, when a believer takes vengeance into his own hands, he robs the Lord of His right and responsibility to exact vengeance at the right time and in the right manner.
- (For children): Paul (2 Timothy 4:14) and Jeremiah (Lamentations 3:60, 64) both knew that getting even with their enemies belonged to God. David thanked Abigail for preventing him from getting even with Nabal when David was angry. God got more than even for David (1 Samuel 25:28d, 30-33, 38).
- (For everyone): What could go wrong when we take vengeance into our own hands? Have there been times when things appeared one way, but further investigation proved that your thoughts were inaccurate?
- Why did the Lord emphasize that vengeance belonged unto Him? What is our first reaction when someone does us wrong? What is our first desire when we see others wronged?
- Ask God to help you leave vengeance to Him.
- Thank God for His longsuffering with you.