Jeremiah 7:3 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place.
4 Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, are these.
5 For if ye throughly amend your ways and your doings; if ye throughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbour;
6 If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt:
7 Then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, for ever and ever.
8 Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit.
Few people would readily admit to trusting in lies; however, any individual placing his trust in something outside of the words of God is in danger of doing so. Through the prophet Jeremiah, the Lord warned His people of this danger on numerous occasions (Jeremiah 7:4, 8; Jeremiah 13:25; Jeremiah 29:31). Even today, people all over the world choose to bow down to idols and images, thinking these creations of wood, stone, or metal can assist them in some way. Other people who would never think to bow to an idol place their trust in education or something similar. Unfortunately, there are going to be multitudes sorely disappointed for they have unwittingly placed their trust in the lies of this world.
- (For children): The people at Lystra worshipped many gods. When Paul healed a man, they were going to make Paul a god. These men and women were believing lies. Paul quickly told them of the only One who could help them (Acts 14:11-15; Psalm 115:4-9).
- (For everyone): What are some things in which the people of this world place their trust? What is the worst thing that could happen for all eternity to those who place their trust in lies?
- What are some ways in which believers can place their trust in lies (i.e., media, politics, science, education)? How can this hinder believers in their fellowship with the Lord?
- Ask the Lord to guard you from trusting in lies.
- Ask God to show you the lies in which you might be trusting.