John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
Many men would rather believe anything than to be forced to face the truth. For instance, they would rather accept the lies of evolution than to believe the truth of the creation and the Creator. They would rather believe the lie of multiple ways to heaven rather than believe Christ when He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14:6). They would rather believe life ends with the grave than to accept that man will live forever either in heaven or in the lake of fire. Unfortunately, this situation is nothing new. During Christ’s earthly ministry, the Saviour said, “And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not” (John 8:45). Simply put, men have always had a natural bias against the truth.
• (For children): Man has a nature and inclination to turn from the truth (Proverbs 1:23-25; Isaiah 53:6) even to the point of opposing it and hating those who speak the truth (Acts 5:27-33; Acts 7:51-52, 54, 57-58; Acts 13:44-50). Do you believe the truth?
• (For everyone): Read Galatians 4:16. Why would Paul think that he could become someone’s enemy merely because he spoke the truth? Have you ever had anyone become angry with you simply because you spoke the truth?
• Why do men struggle so hard to believe the truth? Does it not require equal or greater faith to believe lies?
• Ask the Lord to help you be a receiver of truth.
• Ask the Lord to protect you from the lies of this world.
SONG: I’LL NOT GIVE UP THE BIBLE