2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
Believers are not to speak, look, think, or act like the world. In every way possible, believers are to remain separate and distinct. Believers saved for any length of time have noticed the drastic shift in what the world defines as acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. For instance, man in general once disdained the idea of tattoos, body piercings, and cuttings in the flesh (Leviticus 19:28). Yet, now these things are not only acceptable but even practiced by believers. The world used to distinguish between men and women, even taking note of one’s hair length (1 Corinthians 11:14-15). Yet these distinctions have been blurred and in some cases eliminated with men attempting to become women and women men. The people of God are not to follow along with cultural shifts, but abide rather in the unchangeable words of God.
- (For children): Read 1 John 2:15-17. The world loves and accepts tattoos and even thinks paper tattoo transfers are acceptable for children, but what does God say (1 Thessalonians 5:22)? God also does not accept the way the world dresses nor does He want the lines blurred (Deuteronomy 22:5; 1 Timothy 2:9-10).
- (For everyone): What are some changes you have witnessed in your lifetime? Have these changes made men and women appear more godly or less? Why is it important for you to remain separate from the world and distinguishable?
- How have the opinions in your home changed from those held by believers a few generations back? Why have they changed?
- Ask God to protect you from the carnality of this world.
- Ask the Lord to give you a desire to be different from the world.
SONG: HE LEADETH ME