1 Chronicles 29:9 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.
For some people, giving to the Lord is the equivalent of going to the dentist to have teeth pulled. They would rather do anything than to dip into their finances for the Lord. Yet, there are others who rejoice in giving to the work of the Lord. What is the difference between these two groups of people? One group gives from a willing heart. The other group, if they give at all, does so grudgingly (2 Corinthians 9:7). While giving instructions to Moses concerning an offering, the Lord said, “of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering” (Exodus 25:2). The Lord commands His people to give, but He desires that the giving be willing. The right heart in giving will rejoice that he gets to give and never considers that he has to give (1 Chronicles 29:9).
- (For children): What gives you pleasure or joy? The churches of Macedonia first gave their own selves to the Lord. Because of this, they had joy and pleasure in giving and willingly gave when they themselves had very little (2 Corinthians 8:1-5; Romans 15:26).
- (For everyone): Do you find joy in giving to the Lord or do you give grudgingly? Is it hard for you to let go of the funds that you have deposited into the offering plate? What could this suggest about your inordinate love for money?
- What has the Lord done for you? Has He done these things grudgingly or out of a willing heart? How much is too much for Him to ask of you?
- Ask the Lord to give you a willing heart to give back to Him and His work.
- Thank the Lord for what He has done for you.