Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
Increasingly, the world is driven by the desire for more perceived outward beauty. Some people have gone so far as to change everything concerning their appearance in hopes of turning out more beautiful than previously perceived. Beauty, however, is an area where God and man think quite differently. God sees beauty as a matter of the heart, while man thinks beauty involves the putting on of more makeup (2 Kings 9:30), or changing hair color or hair style, or having some cosmetic alteration done to the teeth or body. In the end, the Lord says that man’s idea of beauty is actually quite vain. While men praise outward beauty, the Lord says that “a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.”
• (For children): God is not impressed by the way we beautify ourselves. He simply wants our hearts (1 Samuel 16:7; 1 Peter 3:1-4). The Devil was beautiful but rebellious (Ezekiel 28:12-17). So was Absalom (2 Samuel 14:25; 2 Samuel 15:1-12). So are so many in this world.
• (For everyone): How can one find the proper balance in trying to look neat and clean for the Lord, yet not going to the extreme point of vanity? Have you found that balance?
• How much of your emphasis concerns your outward appearance? Have you focused upon a change in order to please others? Are you overcome by the need to appear beautiful or handsome?
• Ask the Lord to help you find balance in this area.
• Ask the Lord to show you what true beauty involves.
SONG: ALL THAT THRILLS MY SOUL