Galatians 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
If you bite and chew your food enough times it will break down into small pieces and disappear into your stomach. In our passage, the apostle Paul informs us that our relationships with others bear the same truth. If we bite and devour one another, we will eventually consume each other. Many believers have quit attending the house of God and given up on serving the Lord because Christians have allowed their words to devour and consume.Just as food can only withstand so many bites before it is fully consumed, other believers can only take so much backbiting before weakened beyond their willingness to withstand. As the people of God, we are responsible for strengthening each other and surely will answer to God for any backbiting.
- (For children): God tells us to speak evil of no man (Titus 3:2a), especially not those of our church family (James 4:11a). God wants our speech to instruct and to help improve others in their service toward the Lord (Ephesians 4:29).
- (For everyone): Have you ever known someone who quit serving the Lord because of harm caused through backbiting? Did they seem strong in the beginning and able to withstand the criticisms?
- Ultimately, every individual will stand responsible for his or her walk before God. Yet is it possible that backbiters will also hold some responsibility for causing others to be consumed?
- Ask the Lord to strengthen you when others seek to do you harm.
- Ask God to help you strengthen and encourage those who have been slandered.