Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.
The truth is priceless! It is man’s hope and comfort concerning his past, his present, and his future. It assures man that his past is forgiven, his present is worthwhile, and his future is secure. For this reason, the truth is more valuable than any earthly possession a man might work to obtain. It would be worth a man selling everything he owns just to possess the truth; and once a man possesses it, he should refuse to sell it even at risk of losing his own life. The truth is simply that important. The study of history shows that many faithful men, women, boys, and girls have willingly laid down their lives to confirm their love for the truth. If others loved the truth in such a way, what should be said of believers today?
• (For children): God’s word is true (John 17:17) and valuable (Psalm 119:72, 127). It tells of salvation (1 Peter 1:23; John 3:16) and gives hope (2 Corinthians 1:10). Salvation is free! To buy can mean to obtain by accepting or believing (Isaiah 55:1; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; Acts 16:31). Have you “bought” the truth?
• (For everyone): Do you possess the truth? If so, have you stood for the truth and with the truth regardless of the offers of compromise presented to you?
• Would you be willing to seal your love for the truth with your own blood? What would it take for you to recant your faith?
• Ask God to give you a boldness to stand for Him.
• Thank God for giving you something that is worthy of giving up one’s life.
SONG: THE OLD BOOK AND THE OLD FAITH