Romans 15:25 But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.
26 For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.
27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.
During the first century, hard times had come upon the believers in Jerusalem. Some specific time of trial, persecution, or tribulation had put them in a difficult situation. The Bible offers specific guidance as to when to assist others who have fallen on hard times. Believers in other cities saw the need and determined to make “a certain contribution for the poor saints” at Jerusalem (Romans 15:26). This contribution was either a monetary donation or a material contribution as the Bible says the assistance was “in carnal things” (Romans 15:27). Today, this would be akin to one body of believers assisting another body of believers, or one individual assisting another individual. Whatever the case, we ought to help others when a real need arises and it is in our power to assist them.
- (For children): Tabitha was a woman full of good works and almsdeeds. She made coats and garments for the poor widow women and the saints of God. God wants us to do for others when they need our help. What can you do to help others?
- (For everyone): Do you know of someone who has fallen on hard times? What have you personally done to help? Would the Lord have you to do more?
- Why is it important for believers to help other believers? What does this demonstrate to the world about those who are saved? How can this help the world learn what it means to be a Christian?
- Ask the Lord to show you when others are in need.
- Ask the Lord to teach you to love helping others.