Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
God desires for each of His children to walk in the Spirit and be spiritually minded. Yielding our minds to carnality violates God’s will. In fact, “to be carnally minded is death” (Romans 8:6). When we give our minds over to the flesh, we die spiritually. We also miss out on the things that tend toward “life and peace” (Romans 8:6). According to scripture, “the carnal mind is enmity against God” (Romans 8:7). The word enmity is associated with the word enemy demonstrating that a carnal mind is the enemy of God and His will. In fact, the carnal mind not only will not, but cannot be subject to God’s law (Romans 8:7). Christians who are actively walking after the Spirit are the only ones faithfully obeying the Lord.
- (For children): The Israelites asked God to deliver them from Egypt. The Lord did and led them to a good land. He took special care of them along the way. The people were not satisfied and could only think of the food they ate in Egypt. They wanted to return to Egypt. God was not at all pleased with their carnal minds (1 Corinthians 10:5).
- (For everyone): What are some things you allow to occupy your mind that tend toward death? How can you occupy your mind with those things that tend toward life?
- Is your mind subject to the law of God? Is the Lord able to deal with you through His word? Are you convicted as you read the words from the pages of your Bible?
- Ask the Lord to help you to be more spiritually minded.
- Ask God to give you “life and peace.”