Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
God wants everyone to be firmly established in sound doctrine. The more time an individual spends in his Bible, the better grounded in truth he becomes. With the importance placed upon establishing believers, God warned about being “carried about with divers and strange doctrines” (Hebrews 13:9) and about being “tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine” (Ephesians 4:14). The Devil hates Christians who become rooted and grounded in the truth. This is why he weakens and destroys believers by propagating doctrines contrary to scripture. Men may be the facilitators of false doctrines but the ultimate plan of deception is crafted by the Devil himself.
- (For children): God wants us to study His word so we know when someone is telling us the truth. Some people say we have to worship primarily on Saturdays rather than Sundays, that we cannot eat meats, and that good works or getting baptized allows us access to heaven. These false teachings are only overcome by those who learn the Bible. (Acts 20:27-31; 2 Timothy 2:15).
- (For everyone): What does it mean to be established? How does reading the Bible establish you in the truth? Are you taking advantage of your opportunities to be rooted in the truth?
- Why would the Devil desire to craft false doctrines? Why would he hope to persuade believers to accept these false doctrines? How do false doctrines hinder propagation of the truth?
- Ask God to protect you from false doctrines.
- Ask the Lord to establish you in the truth.
SONG: STANDING ON THE PROMISES