1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Charity is certainly love, but not merely what we would consider a standard type of love and certainly not like today’s usage or definition. Charity is a deeper, fuller, and stronger type of love. In fact, charity remains at the peak of Christianity (1 Corinthians 13:13; 2 Peter 1:7) and is to be sought above all else (Colossians 3:14). With this in mind, a man would be wise to study the subject of charity in the Bible. After careful consideration, if he finds himself not behaving charitably, he should adjust his actions. The Bible also says that charity suffers long and envies not (1 Corinthians 13:4). It rejoices not in iniquity, but in truth (1 Corinthians 13:6). Additionally, charity is kind (1 Corinthians 13:4). This shows that those behaving charitably treat others like members of their family. Those displaying charity will care for others in the good times as well as the bad. They will rejoice when there is truth, but never in iniquity.
· (For children): God wants you to have a special love for others and consider that what you do or say may affect them negatively or hurt them greatly. Do you brag to others when you get a new toy? Are you happy for others when they get something new and you don’t? Do you share?
· (For everyone): Do you have charity? Do you suffer long with others? Do you envy those who get nice things? Do you rejoice when they do right by the Lord?
· Charity is called the bond of perfectness (Colossians 3:14) and considered to be the greatest virtue during this age. How important is it to you to have charity? If it is not important to you, why not?
· Ask God to help you to grow in your walk with Him so that you will learn to be more charitable toward others.
· Pray for a desire to show kindness toward others no matter the circumstances.
Song: Our Best