Luke 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
We are promised that the word of God works effectually in those that believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13). Yet, the Devil works hard to choke out the fruitfulness of the word. In order to achieve his ultimate objective, the Devil uses any means within his arsenal. Pleasure-seeking serves as one of his choicest weapons. In order to convince people that they do not need the Lord or His word, the Devil convinces people that they have everything they could possibly ever want or need without Him. The Devil convinces them that they are happy or satisfied and there is nothing better than their lot in life. He keeps them preoccupied so that they do not take time to reflect and recognize that they are “wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” (Revelation 3:17) apart from the Lord.
• (For children): God warned His people when things were going well not to forget Him (Deuteronomy 8:11-14; Proverbs 30:8b-9a). Yet, their happiness and self-satisfaction caused them to become blind to their disobedience toward the Lord (Hosea 13:6-8; Amos 6:1-7).
• (For everyone): How has the desire for pleasure personally choked out the fruitfulness of the word in your life? What are you willing to do to insure that this attack on the word stops?
• Does pleasure ever keep you from reading, studying, memorizing, or hearing the word of God? How has this harmed you spiritually?
• Ask the Lord to get you to a place where His word can work in your heart.
• Ask God to show you when the pleasures of this life have taken precedence.
SONG: THY WORD HAVE I HID IN MY HEART