Job 4:2 If we assay to commune with thee, wilt thou be grieved? but who can withhold himself from speaking?
All of today’s gadgets have caused the world to lack the basic communication skills necessary to properly function. Communication takes place through various means but is most frequently accomplished by the articulation of words between two or more people. Often in scripture, the words commune and communication are followed by the word saying which suggests that communication generally involves one person speaking to another person. The more a society or an individual experiences a breakdown in their understanding of words, the more they will experience a breakdown in communication. When the individuals within society grow up without face-to-face interaction with other people, that society will lack the ability to communicate. Ultimately, this hinders every facet of life.
- (For children): For three years, Daniel and his friends competed with others to determine who might be the best to serve in the king’s palace. In order to win, they had to be able to effectively communicate (Daniel 1:18-20). Jonathan communed with Saul when trying to change Saul’s mind about killing David (1 Samuel 19:2-7).
- (For everyone): Do you have trouble communicating with others, especially face-to-face using words? Why? Are you able to convey the thoughts of your heart with others using spoken words or do you depend upon society’s gadgets?
- What has greatly hindered our ability to communicate with others? How does this weaken our ability to stand when confronted with wickedness?
- Ask the Lord to give you boldness to communicate.
- Ask God to teach you what communication is.