Romans 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
James encouraged believers to provide “those things which are needful to the body,” specifically mentioning food and clothing (James 2:15-16). Paul’s epistles also repeatedly mention that we ought to help our brothers and sisters in Christ. Yet, this does not make believers responsible for every want or desire that another believer may have. Rather, we are supposed to distribute “to the necessity of saints.” In order to be obedient, it is important to identify what the Bible considers as a necessity. According to 1 Timothy 6:8, men ought to be content with “food and raiment.” It makes sense that these two things are man’s only true necessities. Therefore, as brothers and sisters in Christ, we should assist others in these areas as the need arises.
- (For children): How could you as a child help other children who need clothing and shoes? Try taking care of your clothes and shoes like your mom tells you.When you outgrow this clothing, it will still be good enough to give to another child who may have need of them.
- (For everyone): Why is it important that we are only responsible to help others with their necessities? What items do people often consider to be necessities that the Bible excludes from this list?
- When was the last time you helped a brother or sister in Christ who needed food or clothing? How did you feel knowing that you were able to help? Could the Lord trust you to help again?
- Ask the Lord to give you a willing heart to help others.
- Ask God to meet the needs of His people and to do so through you.