James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Decision making is an important element of everyday life. The Bible has many clear guidelines in this area. Every Christian must learn how to make decisions and then trust God with the results. Some decisions involve life changing outcomes, yet every decision must be based on biblically sound principles. The book of James, when referring to prayer, warns the reader of the dangers of indecisive and faithless living. This particular prayer pertains to wisdom, but the principle involves a broader application. A man who struggles with indecisiveness is said to be “double minded” reflecting instability in all his ways (James 1:8). A few chapters later the Bible instructs the “double minded” believer to purify his heart (James 4:8). Believers must learn to make decisions with God’s help and stick with those decisions until the Lord directs otherwise.
- (For children): Imagine a stormy sea with a ship trying to remain afloat. What happens to the passengers and the ship’s contents when the waves get really rough? The Bible likens us to that ship when we fail to heed God’s instructions.
- (For everyone): How many decisions do you make on a daily basis? How important is it to make spiritually sound decisions? How many wrong decisions does it take to get you into trouble? Would it be better to never make a decision for fear of making the wrong one?
- People sometimes think they would rather avoid making any decision, but making no decision is a decision in itself. Do you find yourself erring in either direction? Are you quick to decide or do you waver with each new decision?
- Ask the Lord for help in making the right decisions, and then stick by those decisions trusting God’s help.
- Pray that God will give you wisdom and show you when you are becoming unstable in your decision making.
SONG: On Christ the Solid Rock