Revelation 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
During John’s prophecy, the Bible says that he “wondered with great admiration” when he saw the future persecution to come upon the followers of Jesus. This persecution will come by the hands of a religious organization that commits fornication (has an inappropriate union) with the kings of the earth. This religion, portrayed as a woman in Revelation chapter 17, is “THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS,” indicating she gives birth to other religious institutions who likewise involve themselves in the inappropriate unions of their “mother” religion. This seems to be why John was so perplexed. He could not fathom the thought that a group would identify itself as a Christian group while putting others to death for their faith in Christ.
- (For children): God hates the shedding of innocent blood (Proverbs 6:16-17). Jesus rebuked the leaders of His time and warned His disciples of the persecution that would soon come (Matthew 23:27-35; John 16:1-3). It is important to remember that God is still in charge and will make things right in His time (Revelation 18:5, 8).
- (For everyone): Have there been religious groups in the past that persecuted and put to death those who professed faith in the Lord Jesus Christ?
- What is the biblical pattern for converting the lost? Should we ever get to the place where we threaten the heathen with physical violence or death if they refuse to convert?
- Ask God to open your eyes if you are associated with “THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS.”
- Ask the Lord to put a hedge of protection about His people.
SONG: ANYWHERE WITH JESUS