James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
God created Lucifer as a perfect, holy being. Unfortunately, when Lucifer willfully chose to rebel against his Creator, his actions eventually severed the relationship for all of God’s creation. As a result of Lucifer’s rebellion, he became God’s archenemy as well as the enemy of all of God’s saints too. This is why Satan uses every tool in his spiritual arsenal to lure the believer into sin and rebellion. It is important to understand how a simple temptation leads to some dire consequences. A man’s lust draws him away from God and tempts him to fulfil his lustful desires. When lust is fully conceived, it brings forth sin. Repeatedly sinning hardens the heart and lessens the believer’s resolve. God always makes a way of escape according to 1 Corinthians 10:13. The child of God need only look for that way out because it will always be there. Like the Lord Jesus in Matthew chapter 4, the believer ought to respond to temptation with the word of God. If the Christian submits to God and resists the Devil, the Devil will flee rather than face defeat (James 4:7).
· (For children): It’s close to suppertime so mom tells you, “No cookies.” The Devil will try to convince you to take one anyway. Surely, mom won’t miss just one. She will never know. No matter what mom knows or finds out, God will know.
· (For everyone): Do you constantly find yourself defeated as a result of the sins that you allow in your life? Do you allow Satan’s temptations to direct your thoughts and actions? If so, you are not enduring temptation.
· Do you know the joys of overcoming temptation? When is the last time you remember the “blessed” feeling of enduring some temptation hurled at you by the Devil?
· Ask God to keep you in His word so that you can endure temptation and withstand Satan’s fiery darts.
· Ask God to give you a resolve to live a clean life for Him.
SONG: Yield Not to Temptation