1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
The opening words of our passage express a desperate warning that is increasingly neglected today. The Devil has convinced many Christians that the content of their daily conversations has no bearing on their spiritual walk. The Bible, however, speaks to the contrary. In fact, the Lord sounded the warning “be not deceived.” Why? Because quite simply: evil communications corrupt good manners! Christians who desire to serve the Lord and please Him easily can be derailed by choosing to surround themselves with those using evil communications. It is very important to speak righteous things and surround ourselves with those who carry themselves in a Christlike manner.
- (For children): King Solomon loved God and was very wise, but surrounded himself with people who did not love God. When he was old, his heart was turned to false gods (1 Kings 11:4). We must be very careful when choosing our friends lest they cause us to fall away from the love we have for the Lord.
- (For everyone): With what kind of people do you surround yourself? Do they speak of the Lord and of His goodness, or do they speak of the world and its deceptive pleasures?
- Evil communication speaks not only of cursing, but also of things that place doubt upon God’s word and His work. Do you surround yourself with people who believe the word of God?
- Ask God to help you to have the right communications.
- Ask the Lord to give you friends who speak right things.