Deuteronomy 29:18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
19 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:
As previously discussed, every man desires inner peace. Yet, some individuals know peace while others live a life of unrest and instability. Those who have peace are considered wise as they strive to keep it. Unfortunately, many people who do not understand true peace convince themselves that they possess it already. According to scripture, these are the type of people who walk in the imagination of their own heart. They do things their own way rather than God’s way and claim to experience peace in the process. Claiming peace without possessing it is unsafe, unwise, and certainly unscriptural. Hope in a false peace has destroyed many nations, peoples, homes, and individuals. Sadly, God’s people have never been immune to this regrettable deception. In fact, the Lord declared His fury because the prophets and priests dealt falsely (Jeremiah 6:13). How did they deal falsely? They proclaimed, “Peace, peace; when there is no peace” (Jeremiah 6:14).
· (For children): A woman in the book of Proverbs disobeyed God. Yet, she thought she was okay. She ate, wiped her mouth, and said, “I have done no wickedness” (Proverbs 30:20). This was a false peace. True peace only comes from obeying God.
· (For everyone): Do you have genuine God-given peace? On what evidence do you base your answer? Are you walking in the ways of God or following after the imaginations of your own heart?
· Why do so many people claim peace when they have no peace? How can this be dangerous? What are some of the bad things that could happen to those who trust in a false peace?
· Ask God to help you enjoy His peace.
· Ask God to teach you that obedience yields true peace.
Song: Cleanse Me