Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Some people seem unable to function without daily interaction with friends. Yet, others think such attachments overbearing and far too demanding. Unfortunately, the world frequently misconstrues what constitutes true friendship. Additionally, far too many times, friends abuse this important relationship. Social media sites even refer to one’s mere acquaintances as “friends.” No wonder the world remains so confused concerning the essence of true biblical friendship. Regardless of one’s perspective on these matters, the Bible points out that there is One friend that man cannot do without and He is “a friend that sticketh closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24). This could simply refer to people who have friends more loyal than those in one’s own family, but likely references the Lord. His level of commitment causes Him to be a friend to those deemed unlovable by the world. Simply consider what the Bible says about His sacrifice. Christ died on the cross for His enemies (Romans 5:10) so that they could become His friends (John 15:13-15). Truly, He is that “friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”
• (For children): Name some of your closest friends. God loves you more than they do. Jesus died on the cross for us even though He knew we would be disobedient. Our friends would not and could not have done that for us.
• (For everyone): What comes to mind when you think of the Lord’s faithfulness as a friend to mankind? Can you name some of His traits as a friend that He exemplifies best?
• There is no other friend like the Lord Jesus. He stays by your side regardless of your faithfulness to Him. Have you thanked Him today for being such a friend to you? Have you rejoiced in the blessings of knowing Him personally?
• Ask God to show you ways in which He has been a friend to you.
• Thank the Lord for being a faithful friend.
SONG: No, Not One!