2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Christians should first and foremost focus on their walk with the Lord. As such, believers are instructed to add virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and charity to their faith. However, notice that every believer is to be “giving all diligence” (with great effort, but without haste). Of all these graces mentioned, faith seems to be the most foundational of them all. Unfortunately, far too many believers never grow beyond faith, making them unable to put forth much diligence in adding the other graces. Believers should be growing in grace daily (like those listed above) and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour (2 Peter 3:18). The word of God remains the only viable source from whence this diligent growth springs forth (1 Peter 2:2).
· (For children): God wants you to put forth your best in living for Him. Ask Him to help you to get better at sharing, being kind to others, obeying immediately, and not always wanting your own way.
· (For everyone): List your priorities in life on a sheet of paper. Where do you rank your walk with God on that list? Are you giving diligence to it? Are you striving to draw nigh to God daily?
· Think back over the past few years of your Christian life. In what areas can you pinpoint spiritual growth? In what areas have you wandered away from the Lord? What are you doing to fix the areas that need your attention?
· Ask God to reveal to you His viewpoint of your Christian life. In doing so, beg of God not to allow your pride and prejudice to get in the way.
· Ask God to strengthen you as you become more diligent in His service.
SONG: I Want That Mountain