1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
Preachers oftentimes wish for simpler days when people seemed more attuned to the things of God. Unfortunately, many believers have lost sight of how much we need God for our daily provisions. Far too many people today believe that their jobs provide their needs or that their efforts at their jobs have provided for their needs. Yet, the truth remains, God is the great provider. When people gathered food from their fields, they had a better understanding of how dependent they were upon God’s hand of blessing. They thanked Him for providing the rain and the sunshine to make their crops to grow. They saw God’s hand directly involved in the feeding of their families. We too ought to take time to give God thanks for the basic necessities and never neglect them simply because we have an easier life. Today’s passage speaks specifically of food, but we ought to thank God for clothing and shelter as well.
- (For children): Do you have food to eat? Do you have clothes to wear? Do you have a place to live? Do you have a bed in which you sleep? Thank God for these simple things because He loves you and things could be so very different.
- (For everyone): Are you truly thankful to God for His provisions? Do you whisper a quick repetitious prayer before eating a meal, or do you sincerely take time to thank God for His provisions and blessings?
- Do you complain about the food that you eat, the clothes that you wear, and the house in which you live; or are you grateful for what the Lord has provided for you?
- Ask the Lord to help you recognize His hand in your provisions.
- Thank the Lord for all the things with which He has blessed you.
Song: Count Your Blessings