Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
Thankfulness strengthens and builds one’s faith in the Lord. Christians need more outward and vocal expression of their thankfulness for God’s provisions and blessings. Giving of thanks simply exalts the Lord. According to scripture, man can “magnify him [God] with thanksgiving.” Something magnified is made easier to see. Therefore, when men give thanks to the Lord, they make God more visible to a world overcome by sin. For what do you have to be thankful? Try giving God thanks for answered prayers, deliverance from trials, or simply His daily provisions. This thankfulness would help the world to see Him better. Ungrateful Christians have helped to convince the world that it does not need to give God credit for creation (and redemption among other things). Long before these perversions of truth, Christians ceased to give thanks.
- (For children): Do you bow your head and reverently close your eyes at home when thanks is offered to God for the food He provides? You can be a witness for God by doing the same thing in a restaurant. As our example, Jesus thanked His Father openly when He fed the 5,000 (John 6:11).
- (For everyone): Do you have family members, neighbours, friends, or coworkers who do not know the Lord? Do you give thanks to God in their presence?
- Do you thank the Lord for His blessings on your life? Do you thank Him for answered prayers or for deliverance from trials, temptations, or troubles?
- Ask the Lord to help you magnify Him in your giving of thanks.
- Ask God to help you to be more thankful.
Song: Great Is Thy Faithfulness