John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Today’s verse is by far the most well-known and beloved verse in all of scripture. Yet, it contains a concept that is most often misunderstood and misconstrued by Christians and non-Christians alike. Although society flippantly uses this word love, real biblical love sacrifices. Christ’s love for us demonstrates this truth (Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 5:25). True love costs the person who chooses to love. When an individual loves someone else, his love is best demonstrated by the sacrifices he makes. This holds true concerning God’s demonstrated love for the world. God gave His only begotten Son to die for the sins of the world. God loved so God gave! In like manner, any person who truly loves the Lord will gladly sacrifice in order to manifest that love.
- (For children): While David was hiding from Saul in a cave, he longed for a drink of water from a well in Bethlehem. The Philistines had control of the well. Because of their love for David, three mighty men risked their lives to get David a drink.
- (For everyone): What sacrifices has the Lord made to demonstrate His love for you in salvation? What has the Lord done to manifest His love for you after salvation?
- What do you give to those you love? What have you given for the Lord in order to demonstrate that you truly love Him? What would you be willing to give to Him?
- Ask the Lord to help you show the fruit of biblical love.
- Thank God for His sacrifice for you in salvation and afterwards.