1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Far too few believers consider the extent that God cares about what they do in, to, and through their bodies. The reality is that the believer is to glorify God in his body. Today’s passage instructs the saint of God to present his body to God as a living sacrifice. Amazingly, the Bible describes this spiritual sacrifice not as some great spiritual achievement but as a mere reasonable service (Romans 12:1). All true fellowship, consecration, and sanctification originate within one’s heart; however, it eventually works its way out to be visibly seen. A believer deceives himself if he claims to walk with God in sweet communion yet experiences no outward changes visible to mankind. A yielded Christian ensures that no part of his life is off limits to the Lord. He strives to ensure his life, including his body, is a testimony bringing glory to His Saviour.
- (For children): How wonderful it is that God chose to dwell in man. Therefore, we need to be careful with our bodies (1 Corinthians 3:16-17). Determine in your heart now that you will show forth His praise by obedience (Daniel 1:8; Genesis 39:8-9; 1 Corinthians 9:27).
- (For everyone): Why is it important that your consecration be a matter of the heart? How can something that begins in your heart eventually work to change your outward behaviour?
- What has changed about you since you trusted Christ? Why have those things changed? Have you changed to please men or to glorify God?
- Ask God to work in your heart as you study this week.
- Ask the Lord to help you ensure that nothing is off limits to Him.
SONG: I GAVE MY LIFE FOR THEE