Mark 5:15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.
16 And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine.
17 And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts.
18 And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him.
19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.
20 And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel.
The Lord healed many people during His earthly ministry. Today’s passage speaks of a particular man who had been delivered from devil possession. What a relief he must have experienced! However, the people in his community did not rejoice that the Lord had performed such a wonderful miracle. In fact, they turned against the Saviour and wanted him to depart from their coasts. The Lord complied with their demands; however, the man delivered of the devils wanted to travel with the Lord. He loved the Lord so much that he wanted to stay close Him. However, as the healed man sought to enter the ship, Christ told him to return to his home and tell his friends what had happened to him. The Lord knew that this man was in the best position to reach out to his friends with the truth. He knew this man’s testimony concerning the truth was what they needed to hear and believe. Christians should always be prepared and ready for times when opportunities arise to tell their friends about the truth. Acts chapter 10 records another example when Cornelius called his friends together expecting to hear Simon Peter preach the truth of the gospel. Real friends insure that their friends are put into a position to hear the truth and never squander spiritual opportunities.
· (For children): Do your closest friends go to church and love the Lord? If they don’t, ask mom and dad if you can invite them. Pick up some gospel tracts, quote them a Bible verse that you know well, or tell them your favorite Bible story. A true friend tells his friends about the Lord.
· (For everyone): Nobody can reach your friends like you can. Do you have any friends that do not know the Lord as personal Saviour? Have you taken the time to tell them about their need to be saved?
· Have you invited your friends to come to church? Have you told them about the great things the Lord has done for you and is doing in your life? Have you encouraged them to read their Bible, pray, and attend church?
· Ask the Lord to give you boldness to tell a friend about Jesus.
· Ask the Lord to give you a burden for the salvation of your unsaved friends.
SONG: Rescue the Perishing